View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
arctic -

Actually, the lack of market access was actually Google's fault. The company was worried about tablets using an operating system that was designed for phones. If customers had a bad experience with such tablets, then that would permanently damage the Android brand, which at the time was just beginning to achieve traction in the smartphone market. Therefore, in order to discourage the wide adoption of Android on tablets, they banned access from the market. When the original Galaxy Tab appeared, it actually didn't have market access. Neither did the early Archos tablets. In my opinion, they really hurt the widespread adoption of these devices -- in fact, this decision made the situation worse because the tablet experience was fairly awful without market access. Some people speculate that the reason Amazon developed an app market was so they could get around Google's tablet restrictions.

I remember, back in the day, telling a friend of mine that Google wouldn't always be a benevolent company; they were simply doing so as a means of leverage against Apple devices. And this was the first "evil" thing Google did with Android. It essentially killed a bunch of little companies while assuring that the bigwigs (like HTC, Samsung, ASUS, and so on) had an edge. If you remember, Motorola got first access to Honeycomb, which they likely attained by paying a handsome fee. In fact, Google still hasn't released the Honeycomb source code, and I expect that the days of free and open Android are drawing to a close.

That said, greyhair is totally right about Netflix. The Nook probably has a supported processor. Unfortunately, the PXA is just an unusual choice for a tablet. I think it's unlikely we will EVER get Netflix support.

Last edited by kennyminot; 07-20-2011 at 05:06 PM.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote