View Single Post
Old 08-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
While the only functional e-book readers I have are my JBL and my computer, here is what I come up with in each category of Kumabjorn's (I added my netbook, boxes, and book shelves since they also are factors to be considered):

1. Windbreaker

Since most of the books I read are paperbacks, wind isn't really a factor since I have to hold a paperback open all the time no matter what. The JBL just lies there and my computer gets read indoors only. Moot.

2. Page turning

Page turning a paperback usually requires one hand to hold the book and the other to turn the page. This can be a bit of a problem if I'm also eating. The JBL is much easier to turn pages on since it only takes a simple finger press. JBL

3. Returning

Paperbacks usually don't have flaps on the cover. If I slip while holding the paperback open, I can usually kiss my place goodbye. Bookmarks can get lost too, especially if I drop the book. Of course, if I drop the JBL, I can kiss the JBL goodbye. The JBL remembers where it was when I shut it down. JBL

4. Olfactory component

If I can smell the book from where I'm holding it while reading, I don't especially want to touch it. The JBL has no oder I can detect. JBL

5. Bed reading

I have problems with my arms getting tired or going to sleep when I read in bed. If I nod off while reading a paperback, I'm in danger of losing my place. If I nod off while reading my JBL, I'm in dager of knocking it off the bed, requiring a new JBL. However, my 32" TV is positioned to be comfortably viewed from my bed. I have it patched into my computer so, when I'm in bed I read from my TV. I now read two books at once: one from my JBL when away from the house and another one from my computer/TV when at home. When I'm away from the house or on the road, I'm not likely to be reading in bed. Computer/TV.

6. Reading novels

The JBL turns pages fast enough, I don't need to anticipate the page turn as Kumabjorn apparently needs to. Same for the Computer/TV. Not possible with a paper book. Moot.

7. Reference reading

I haven't tried doing reference reading with the JBL yet, especially since many of the books I read on the JBL are page image only PDFs made from scanning paper books. Paper book referencing requires page turns, grabbing another book, or going to the computer. When reading with my computer/TV, I would have to go to the computer or grab a paper book to reference anything. Undecided.

8. Multiple books

Keeping multiple books on my JBL and my Computer/TV takes up so much less room than in my purse or in my home. JBL and Computer/TV (it was really no contest).

9. Language selection

I read only in one language so this is a moot point.

In addition to the above points, I have a few more:

10. Portability

When traveling or just away from the house, my JBL fits much better in my purse than most paper books. In fact, most paper books will not fit in my purse. If I want more than one book with me, I don't have to pack extra luggage to accomodate them; I can just put them on my JBL and my netbook. JBL and netbook.

10. Storage

Paper books eat a tremendous amount of space, space I have very little of now and will soon have none. I can fit my present paper book collection on a small portion of the small harddrives of my computers instead of 30-40 large boxes. Computer/TV and Netbook, hands down. JBL, poor second, unless I decide to also keep multiple SD cards, then it will move up to a stronger second. Boxes and book shelves, not even in the running.

11. Organization

Far, far easier on my Computer/TV using calibre. Netbook finishes a strong second. The JBL is too small to organize my collection. Poor third. Boxes and bookshelves?
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote