View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #231
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
I was having a problem with counting pages that I've finally resolved.

Before, I had the Sony 950 which kept all page counts static, so it was easy to count them. Late last year, I switched to the iPad mini, which re-configures page counts based on text size. That's a dilemma when one is basing one's goal on page count.

Finally I've hit upon using a page count average from Goodreads from a few of the most popular editions of a book. I feel satisfied now that page counts for different books I read will not only be generally correct but also have an easy consistent methodology, even if in practice it means that a book that I thought was going to count as 500+ pages now will count for less than 350.

Since I'm doing a half-year challenge, this is the midway point for me. With the new methodology implemented, my page count total has taken a hit of a few hundred pages from what it would've been before, but either way I'm still behind a bit. The next three months will be interesting!
Random page numbering changes was why I decided to use the mass market paper back page count as my "standard". There is such a large difference in page number depending on how it is printed that I started using MMPBs. They are generally fairly close to the same word count/page so it feels a little more consistent to me. Also, since most of what I read prior to my Kindle was a MMPB, I have a better feel for what a "page" takes to read and use that count when available.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote