View Single Post
Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #58
fidvo
Addict
fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fidvo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
While I agree it is totally up to the developers what file system they use, I also think you are right about the way that people seem to pounce on those who would have it otherwise.
To be fair, the tone of the original post in this thread was openly hostile. Is it any wonder that the responses are less than friendly?

Quote:
I have no problem with the file structure, and in fact find it less annoying than the Windows way of doing things. Still every time I see someone typing don't look under the skirts or think of it like a black box, I think gag me with a spoon
But that's the correct answer to the question. The answer doesn't change no matter how many times the question gets asked.

Quote:
And the thread you point to starts off pretty rude really when you think of it. Not meant that way I am sure, but you are right to feel a bit miffed by it's stern grandfatherly tone.
I don't see it as particularly rude; it's just concise. There's no "We're sorry that the database structure doesn't conform to the way you would like to do things..." It just tells it like it is.

Quote:
I wish you luck with your project and would be interested in looking at it when you are at a stage that you are thinking of distributing it, but I think calibre is a hard program to beat. Sure it could be better, just like most things, but IMO it is pretty darn good as is.

Helen
I'm also curious about EowynCarter's project, specifically how he addressed the issues mentioned by itimpi:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Reasons I can think of off-hand include:
  • If links get broken then you get serious problems with the base Calibre dataconsitency. It is too easy to do this if files are stored outside Calibre control.
  • The databse recovery capability would not be possible if Calibre did not know where to find the metadata.opf files stored with each ebook
  • Any solution has to be portable across all supported OS (Windows, MacOS, Linux)
EowynCarter must have come up against these exact same issues, and found some way to deal with them. Synchronization between the database and the files is the single biggest reason why Calibre adopted a "hands-off" policy, so if EowynCarter's program finds a solution to this, I'm very interested in knowing how.
fidvo is offline   Reply With Quote