View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #122
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Can I play given I've only had my reader for *checks clock* about 25 hours

I like it - love it - because I can carry around, and store, an awful lot of books in a device that's the size of a small travel guide.

It will never take the place of coffee table books, of which we have more than a few; but it may start taking the place of all the novels and technical books of which we have rather a lot (*). And is less likely to fall apart after multiple readings than a large paperback.

It is going to be easier to commute with than a real book, and will give me more choice. It also means going on holiday won't result in taking either a large bag full of books or just grabbing a couple at the last minute - we can never decide what we want to read in advance, so we either take far too many, or just enough to last us an evening or two.

The only downside is that unless I install the software on my PC at work, I can't buy a book or two in my lunch hour...

(*)Most rooms in our small 3 bed house have bookshelves. The main bedroom doesn't, but has books falling off the shelves under the bedside cabinets. The two other bedrooms each have a large bookcase and several shelves - all full to overflowing. The landing has some books sat on a drawer unit that got put there temporarily about 3 years ago! The bathroom is gradually losing natural light as the windowsill fills up again. The living room has one large, full to overflowing, book case plus books on and under the coffee table, and taking up half a sofa. The dining room has 6 bookshelves (two are sat on the dining room table!), all full to overflowing, plus more books on the table and one chair. The kitchen has books on one otherwise not-very-usable part of the kitchen counter (all cookbooks, or at least cookery related). The only reason the hall hasn't got any books in is that it simply isn't big enough (although the phone books do live there...). We could do with getting some space back somehow, and building a library extension may not be the answer!!
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote