View Single Post
Old 11-19-2012, 12:22 AM   #65
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I'm sorry if this is a bit of a hijack --- apologies to GraciousMe, and someone please let me know if this would be better in a new thread --- but the thread was here and handy, and my question-bump is itching, so ....

I am converting a lot of public domain short stories (Mark Twain), and the source scans often show a footnote for the original publication in some newspaper or magazine. Does this information even need to appear in the text as footnote or endnote? Might it be more appropriate as information on the in-line ToC? (or possibly an appendix... I'm agnostic about reference material.) It seems over-kill to make a linked footnote just to say "this was first published in Blankety Mag, Nov 1899".

Also, Dale De said
Quote:
It is reasonable to have a mix of endnotes and more ready reference notes when appropriate.
, which I was glad to see, because I had decided to do that. Some of the author's "footnotes" are a wonderful addition to the narrative, while others are pure historical reference, etc.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote