View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #238
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by acti0n View Post
Hey everyone,

Over the past week I've gone through 5 defective Paperwhites with a 6th on the way (all 503s):

#1: 1 inch long distracting hotspot on left edge near the bottom. Blotches.
#2: Small bump in outer rubber, blueish-green tint to the light. This was the only unit that had even lighting on the bottom.
#3: The top inner border of bezel was not cut straight. There was a 4x1mm piece of plastic jutting out over the screen. Blotches and 2m thick shadow running along the bottom.
#4: 1 inch scratch on the lower right part of the screen. Blotches.
#5: 3mm scratch on the lower left part of the screen. Bright dust specs under screen. Blotches.

I'm not exactly giving these devices a thorough inspection -- these are things I've noticed within just 30 seconds of unpacking the device. It makes me wonder why their quality control can't do the same.

I've got a 6th one being delivered tomorrow, but I'm not optimistic. I'm sure at this point Amazon has spent more on over-nighting me 5 replacements than I paid for the device.

I really wish I didn't spend $30 on a case from a non-Amazon site, because at this point I'm ready to throw in the towel and just get a refund (I doubt Amazon would reimburse me the expenses for that case, so I would be out $30 when all is said and done).
I have gone through a series of replacements in November (or maybe October?) and am impressed that you got to see so many devices in only one week. That means that at least they are trying to rectify the problem. It took me a lot longer to get replacements, and repeat phone calls.

Some of the defects you described, I had as well on my first units. However, I have never had a device where the plastic casing was an issue, and neither did I have scratches on the screen. This tells me that their quality control has gone the wrong way: down, not up.

Very disheartening! I can tell you that if you do get a good unit, you will love it, but going through so many replacements is unacceptable and does not paint a good picture of their QC.

Please keep us posted either way.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote