View Single Post
Old 06-10-2012, 02:21 PM   #44
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Both of those are new enough that you should be able to use:
-mfloat-abi=softfp -mfpu=vfp
And still run on either the ARMv6l (VFPv2) or the ARMv7l (VFPv3) even with the rest of the Kindle libraries built as 'softfloat'.

If you have a chance, give that a try on your compile command line and see if the resultant binary will still run on your Kindle.
It should make a difference to mpeg123 when you use the floating point hardware.

Edit: Still haven't found a reference to that: 'l' (ell) but the only thing I have found so far is that it probably indicate VFPlite (the 'slow' VFP hardware - which trades silicon area for clock cycles).

And I am not sure if even gcc-4.6 has instruction scheduling for the VFPlite (slow FPU) hardware. Need to RTFM but I don't expect to find it before gcc-4.7

Last edited by knc1; 06-10-2012 at 04:13 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote