View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #12
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How Blue Got Her Name

How Blue Got Her Name

Blue, in the novel The Door to the Sky, is a woman with goddess-like power over the air and sky. That her name is "Blue" seems almost obvious. What else would her name be?

Funny story...

I plotted The Door to the Sky in September 2006 just after plotting The Summoning Fire (though before *writing* The Summoning Fire; I was saving TSF for NaNoWriMo that year). And, as I had done when I plotted The Summoning Fire a few weeks before, I started with a structure.

Here is that structure:

The simple description of the structure is: "Three converging storylines".

Just like with The Summoning Fire's spiral, each line is a primary character viewpoint, with a few, related secondary viewpoints.

Can you guess which storyline is Blue's?

As I wrote notes about the "Blue character" and how her story arc would go, I fell in love with the name. I resisted at first, then embraced the name. Once I had done that, the name showed me all sorts of ideas that I had not considered before. I can't imagine the character with any other name now.

"Red" and "Green", on the other hand, never clicked with me as names. So those became "The Traveler" and "The Tyrant/Savir Agrata", respectively. After all, the sturcture was just an outlining tool. Not a naming tool.

Except for Blue.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote