View Single Post
Old 12-07-2017, 12:40 PM   #43
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, and NookColor. 2 Droid, 1 Win8 ePUB rdrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The OP has posted 18 times in 5 years. I'd assumed from the start that he (based on user name) would possibly never check this thread again. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Also, I think it's safe to say at best, the OP is unlikely to read half the recommendations here. But hey, Pajamaman and I had a nice talk about the Sunset Warrior books and I learned that the Discworld books are more action packed than I thought.
Yes, of course. I simply meant that while some of us--some of the more-pedantic amongst us--might stick with the idea that "epic" fantasy means just that, the dictionary definition (so to speak) including elves, dwarves, trolls, magical objects, swords and sword-fighting, magic generally, and all that, the fantasy genre has broadened widely over the years since Tolkien gave us LOTR. I mean, the first thing most people would think of, as someone here said, is the SOS (Sword of Shannara) and Shannara series, as those are, let's say, "homages" to LOTR. Less so as the series goes on, of course. But you have the basic Hero's Journey, plus all of the aforementioned elements--lions and tigers and bears, oh my.

But is that all there is? (Not to say that's limited) If we knew what elements of EF appealed to him, perhaps we could make other recommendations. That's all.

HOWEVER, everybody here has pretty much recommended what I would have, (within the stricture of EF), so...I'll shaddup. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote