View Single Post
Old 08-28-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingah View Post
Hi there,

To preface this, I should say that my purpose is mainly getting my Kindle Paperwhite to use a collection manager such as Calibre, as I very much depend on my articles and books to be well organized. I also want to find a way to take notes/assembly quotes that I can send to Evernote. Additionally, some anti-theft service would be very handy.

I'm new to jailbreaking, I've only done something similar to an old xbox once, but I think I understand the concept and the consequences fairly well. However, before I go through with it I have a few questions I'd hoped to get answered by someone competent in this forum. They are:

- Is the reversal process, either the "Rescue Pack" or some other reset, easy? That is, can I completely reset the Kindle even if it has become severely malconfigured (a failsafe backup of the device before jailbreaking)?
Unfortunately no. Kindles can break in all kinds of interesting and funny ways. While all newer Kindles (K4/K5 including PW) have a diags partition from where you can restore the kernel and all partitions, in order to boot to this partition on the Paperwhite, you still need a working main kernel, user partition, and at least somewhat sane main partition. This is different on the K4 and K5Touch, which are virtually unbrickable - because they can be made to boot immediately into the diags system using a special combination of hardware key presses. It's a matter of 5 minutes to get these devices going again. To really brick a Touch, you must knowingly mess around with the boot sector or other sensitive parts of the system.

In their infinite wisdom, Amazon removed that functionality from the PW, so bricking a Paperwhite is much, much easier. That device is a diva, so even a font file or misformatted book can potentially make the PW "need repair". The rescue pack will typically save your ass in such cases, but especially if you intend to toy around yourself with the framework or the partitions, you'd better know what you are doing or have a serial cable ready.

To summarize: IF the rescue pack is installed and "accessible", you can restore the PW to a working state. But the PW can fail in so many different ways that even the rescue pack is not guaranteed to be accessible.

Quote:
- Can I install Prey, or a equivalent service, to the Kindle?
Not that I know.
Quote:
- Can I prevent the Kindle from automatically updating?
Yes. Search this forum for "back door lock".
Quote:
- Can I install Evernote or some program that allows me to send notes by email?
Possibly. I don't know anything off the top of my head, but try searching this forum or browsing the index for possibly suitable software. In the worst case, you can write your own
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote