View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #3
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I've contributed, but only to projects that involved fairly well-known established print-published writers/artists who had some experience with solo/shared production of e-works whose stuff I either really wanted because I'd bought "regular" works from them previously and/or had a good reputation and the pledge with decent rewards cost was low enough that I was willing to throw a small amount of money at them.

For a relative-to-total unknown, I doubt I'd even be willing to look, much less take the chance. I did pass on several vaguely-interesting but I-don't-know-this-person-and-what-kind-of-quality-they-really-produce projects (and I missed the deadline for a couple of others I was somewhat-interested-but-dithering on and mostly don't really regret).

Personally, I don't think it would be a good idea to rely on crowdsourcing your funding unless you really have an already established and loyally supportive audience and a decent set of quality works under your belt.

For the record, I supported: 1 mostly-already-written-but-not-otherwise-economically-viable-to-finish fantasy novel by a favourite author, 1 multi-author shared world anthology, 1 multi-author shared world anthology with accompanying role-playing-game, 1 reprinted how-to artbook with new extras by the original author, 1 educational graphic novel anthology by established comic book artists, one of whom is a favourite.

Missed and regretted: 1 AU historical steampunk novel follow-up to a print-published series by an author I've never read but was willing to check out and will probably keep an eye on her next related project; 1 feminist science fiction anthology being assembled from the works of classic established writers like Joanna Russ et al. by the editor for a small press whose official e-book edition I'll probably buy on sale when it comes out.

Missed and not regretted: 1 tie-in by Big-6 established author to some print series of hers (I was interested, but the price was too high for a pledge that got me the free e-book versions of the novellas she was going to write); 1 novel continuation by small press established author of some fantasy series which again set too high a price for bare minimum e-book reward and I didn't have time to check out the writing to see if was good enough to merit the $15-25 being asked.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote