View Single Post
Old 03-05-2005, 10:43 AM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team7
...I think that people will start using ebooks reader hardware that will do away with the screen real estate problem.
That is certain to get a rise out of us! A very controversial statement, and very interesting subject!

But I think that we can at least all agree any complete replacement of paper for viewed content is a long way off, if ever. We just might argue about the number of years or the "if ever" part. Some of the things that will be hard to do with ebooks and epaper will, in my mind, leave a place for the real thing for a long time to come...
*) The nice feel of paper on your fingers.
*) The tactile sensations of holding a book and knowing by feel how big it is
*) The feel of paging through a book to browse it
*) The real-time response as you interact with paper
*) The way you can crinkle it up when you throw a page away
*) The the way the image looks on various papers
*) All the technology and industries devoted to paper products

But epaper will be so much more powerful, maybe you're right and it will be so responsive, so feature-laden, and with so many perfected qualities that paper will have no advantages left. I'd love to have a nice desk surface that could display paper-like images anywhere on the surface, be tactile friendly and touch sensitive, and be just as easy to look at as paper. Then I wouldn't have to have that video display hovering over me all the time and I could use the desk more like desks used to be!

But, personally, I just don't see that going so far in this next 50yrs or so, anyway, to replace paper completely. And that means I am unlikely to see it in my lifetime even if it happens.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote