View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #518
nickredding
onlinenewsreader.net
nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'nickredding knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, IPad3, iPhone4, Playbook, HTC Inspire
I'm occasionally getting a codec error unpacking calibre-generated news downloads:
Code:
Write ncx
Find link anchors
Insert data into html
Insert hrefs into html
Remove empty anchors from html
Insert image references into html
Write opf
Error: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xe2 in position 84: ordinal not in range(128)

Error: Unpacking Failed
I can't determine where in the unpacking code this is happening (I'm assuming it's in WriteOPF since there is no OPF file after this crash).

It would be nice if KindleUnpack would report (including where the offending byte data is) and then ignore this type of error and carry on instead of terminating. I suppose it's possible there is an error somewhere in calibre, but the resulting files work fine on kindles, ipads, etc., so whatever it is it's harmless, and anyway there is no way to figure out where the issue might be in calibre without some useful information from KindleUnpack.

Normally I would try to isolate the issue in KindleUnpack myself, but the code has changed and grown so much since I last worked on it that would be a major project for me to get back into it. Hopefully, someone who is up to speed on the current code can deal with this.
nickredding is offline   Reply With Quote