View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
ichrispa
Enthusiast
ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.ichrispa shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo Touch
KT kepub structure

Hi everyone,

I recently bought myself a KT and I am generally very pleased with the device. What bugs me (and from what I have read many other users as well) is the fact that newspapers, magazines and previews are only purchasable from Kobo and not sideloadable. Like many others I use calibre to create newsfeeds and seing them as ebooks really annoys me.

I have taken a glance at how to make my KT classifeis an epub as news or previews. From what I see, magazines and previews are just epubs, stripped of their .epub extension and renamed with a long identifier, which are found in the .kobo/kepub folder.

My strong suspicion is that the .kobo/KoboReader sqlite database is responsible for classifying the contents of the kepub folder as newspaper or preview, thus making them available in the appropriate menu sections of the KT. In particular the table named "content" in the sqlite database should be the one making that distiction.

My problem is that I do not know how they are marked as such. My KT came without visible previews and in germany, there are no newspapers that can be purchased in the kobo store (marked as "coming soon"). So I have no template on deciphering the database relations.

Here's my appeal: I need to see how the database links the contents of the kepub folder with what fields in the database to make them appear as newspaper. To do that one would need a KT which has contents stored and visible in the "Newspapers & Magazines" category. One obvious solution would be if anyone (especially one of those US Kobo owners whose newpaper subscriptons are working) could provide me with a directory listing of their .kobo/kepub folder and their sqlite database, I might be able to figure this one out.

Word of warning: Yes, I know that user credentials are stored in that sqlite database. I would prefer if I could get a database with blank user names and access credentials. However I might need the User ID Field from that table...

Alternatively, if you are familiar with sqlite, maybe you could just take a look for yourself and provide us with your insights?

Kind regards,

ichrispa
ichrispa is offline   Reply With Quote