View Single Post
Old 09-26-2011, 12:12 PM   #52
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Whenever someone has a financial interest in recommending something, their motives become suspect. Salesmen who DON'T work on commission usually tout that fact because it makes people feel like they are being more honest.
True enough. I guess the reason I don't think that's a big deal here is because of the ridiculously small amount of money involved. In order to make a large enough amount of money on affiliate links that it actually makes a difference, it almost has to be a full-time job.

Posting a few links on a forum every now and then doesn't add up to enough money that I feel scammed or cheated if someone made money from the link I clicked on, and didn't bother to tell me. Besides, we're on the internet. Affiliate links have been in use for how many years now? I realize that just because something is obvious to me that doesn't mean it's obvious to everyone else, of course. But really, were there people who genuinely believed that nothing but self-less generosity drives the people who spend hours and hours every day searching for deals and post them for complete strangers to enjoy? If so, wow.

I see this the other way around. Anyone who is willing to benefit from the time and work put in by the ones who post the deals and bargains here, and who begrudges them a bit of pocket change for their efforts, is the one with suspect motives. It strikes me as petty.

This forum would work much better if each separate deal gets its own thread. Disclosing that it's an affiliate link can become mandatory, to avoid misunderstandings. I don't care if it is, but apparently there are those who think this is a big deal.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote