View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #37
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
It's not the only criteria (or even my only criteria, though obviously most of the responders have latched onto that), but for any writer who would like to make a reasonable amount of money writing, it is a valid one, and worth weighing to answer the question.

Not exactly: I'd like laws to level the playing field and better prevent IP theft... not the same thing. Nowhere have I said that we must stop the bad economy from shrinking the purses of authors, nor that authors are more important than any other group. If authors make less because the economy is bad... oh well. But if authors are making less because their property is being stolen in larger degrees... that is something to address.

You're looking though the wrong end of the telescope. The bad economy is not shrinking the purses of people. The technological changes are devaluing the worth of skilled labor. The same for accountants, engineers, programmers, and authors. Some because the low cost of modern telecom has made it cheaper to do labor substitution, some because cheap technology has made the cost of duplication approach zero. But both are caused by cheap technology in the last 10+ years.

My point is - why is the labor of authors more deserving of structural protection than all the other sorts of labor who value has be decreased because of technology. I don't think that is an unfair question to ask.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote