View Single Post
Old 02-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Sorry to go off topic!
It's not off-topic. A problem like this can cause people to decide to NOT go for the Paperwhite, as Using Collections + No Internet seems to be a very bad combination if using the KPW2 on Firmware 5.4.2..

But, as I said, this problem may have already been solved; the firmware is now at Version 5.4.2.1..

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
You can add fonts onto the PaperWhite Katsunami. I found a post here way back when I got mine that explained how to do it. I wrote down the steps so I'd have them handy if something happened and I had to reinstall them again.

When it restarts you have the additional fonts available to you.
This does not work on the KPW2. It is expected to stop working on the KPW1 as well, should that reader get another firmware update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
How will the cloud know that I've put the books into collections when I'm not online on the PW?
It doesn't. That's the entire point.

Instead of just storing the collections and syncing at the earliest opportunity, it tries to sync immediately, and nags if there is no internet.

Try to put book into collection -> Kindle wants to sync -> No internet! -> NagNag.

At least, that is what I understand that is happening, starting with firmware 5.4.2.0.

If your router/modem does not have Wifi, and you won't or can't replace it, then why don't you just put a very basic wireless access point on your network? In the Netherlands, you can have one for under €20. They are just 100 Mbit, but that's more than fast enough for a Kindle.

It's either that, or keeping the Kindle at a 5.4.0.x. firmware version if you want to use collections. (Again, assuming the problem is NOT yet solved.)

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-17-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote