View Single Post
Old 09-13-2017, 05:14 AM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Snow View Post
Can I run two versions of 64bit calibre on the same machine? Don't have to run at the same time, but will installing a ealier version upset the current one?
My recollection is that Windows XP was pretty pernickety about such things, hasn't gotten any better since, probably worse. I try to avoid doing it - if push comes to shove I use a VM (Virtual Box), but I have never needed to do it for calibre.

Whenever I want to look at an old version I install the portable version, e.g. if I wanted to look at version 2.16, I would download that portable and 'install' it well away from my system drive.

Portable is the 32bit edition with a simple wrapper, the wrapper terminates once it starts its calibre.exe. I'm told you can replace the contents of the ...\Calibre Portable\Calibre folder with the contents of %SystemDrive%\Program Files\Calibre2 -- I've never had the need or urge to do it.

FYI - the Check library tool has 3 phases, the first one cleans the database (vacuum in SQLite parlance), the second one does database integrity checking (foreign key matching etc), the third reconciles the database tables/rows with the author and book folders and their contents. The third phase is the only one where I've ever had to take action. Always because of a blunder on my part - e.g. unpacking a CBZ, renaming/removing/adding some jpegs, creating a new CBZ, and neglecting to clean up.

- have you gotten rid of the manufacturer bloat. This is my first non-homebrew PC (apart from a couple of notebooks), its a Dell XPS 8920. It had enough bloat on board to sink battleship, first thing I did was to disable, uninstall much of it, I'm cogitating on doing a barebones install from MS media.

Just for fun, I installed 1.48 and 3.4 on on my internal SATA3 hard disk (I had the installs in my s/w install locker). start up times are sub 2 secs (practically instantaneous) - this is with the startup library, with no customisation or plugins, and no splash screen. The 1.48 might be a smidgen (as in 100-250 milliseconds) faster.

But, here's the rub... if I restart either in debug mode, it reports start up times anywhere between 1.55 and 11.23 seconds. But measured on a hand held stop watch, they are more like 6-9 secs .

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-13-2017 at 04:53 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote