View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #23
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
I've always had some books I couldn't send from calibre to Marvin. A couple of them had coding problems, but not all. This had gotten worse lately, and almost every book I tried transferring gave an error. Even books that had worked previously.

Because of this, I tried uninstalling the plugin. Now I get the following error when I connect marvin with calibre:

Spoiler:
calibre, version 1.48.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xf8 in position 47: invalid start byte

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 86, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 490, in _books
File "C:\Users\Jane\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_sj_qvw\i athz8_ios_local_db\Marvin_overlays.py", line 435, in books
File "calibre_plugins.ios_reader_apps.__init__", line 1392, in _log_metrics
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xf8 in position 47: invalid start byte

After dismissing the error message, I can add books to Marvin, but the next time I connect I get the same error and no books are shown as on the device.

Win 7, calibre 1.48 and an ipod touch 5th gen.
I've also tried uninstalling Marvin, nothing changed.
I noticed that someone posted about the same problem on github, but I fixed this error by copying back the old plugin-files(in calibre's configuration directory) from a backup made before uninstalling the plugin the first time.

I still get an utf8 error when I try to transfer some books that seem to have the correct encoding, but I need to investigate the code of these epubs more. A couple I'm able to transfer after an epub-to-epub conversion with utf8 encoding, at least one still won't transfer. Modify epub never works for this. I'll check these books more closely when I have time.

So far I haven't gotten the other error that started popping up so often just recently, and have actually been able to transfer a couple of books I know gave this error message(that I don't remember wording of). Fingers cross that it will stay this way
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote