View Single Post
Old 09-11-2018, 08:45 AM   #106
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Maybe in part, but I don't think that's the whole story. In part, it's because I think with any binge, what you're consuming starts to lose its savor and by slowing down I feel I appreciate it more.
My immediate reaction was: ice-cream yes, books no. For me there's a sort of inverted version of this: with binge reading my ear (or eye or brain or whatever) becomes attuned to the author's way of speaking and thinking and (I think) that this sometimes gets me deeper into what the author has created. (But I will also admit that this can backfire. For example, if I try to binge-read mysteries by one author they can become a little too obvious, and the characters to familiar/similar, for comfort.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Then there's the pleasure of anticipation. Finally, you can only read with virgin eyes once; never again will you have the pleasure of not knowing what's going to happen. Not that there isn't satisfaction in watching how a story develops when you know the outcome, but it's not the same seat-of-the-pants reaction a first read gets.
I can't argue with any of this, I totally agree (but I'd add that I can have both ).
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote