View Single Post
Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #22330
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
No rant here. Just listening and nodding my head in agreement.

I have decided that we are not going to try and visit each of our families every summer. It is too expensive and uses up all of our vacation time. His family this year, my family next year. Riverhouse for a week with ourselves and some friends and maybe family.
In many ways I thought myself lucky to have the family relationship that I did... which was distant. There was plenty of "Love" shown, but no need for constant reaffirmation of it. My parents had their lives and I had mine. When we got together it was enjoyable to catch up on what we all had been doing, spend a day sitting around chatting, and we were good for the next season. No need to spend a week together. We all have lives to live and vacations to take. Sometimes we take them together. Sometimes not. Because of our strange schedules, my wife and I often will take separate vacations. Often we will join up in the middle of one of them for a day or two, or over-lap for a day or two. I went up to the Sea of Japan coast to do some photography but my wife wanted to attend a 2-day lecture. After her lecture, she joined me at the coast for a day, but then "I" had to get back to town, and she wanted to stay for another day or so... It's nice to be able to do things like this. If I had said to my ex-wife that I wanted to go somewhere by myself, she would have said 'Oh! You don't love me any more!' (That's one of the reason's she's an ex...)

Take the time for yourselves too. I've often felt badly for a friend of mine who is expected to spend every vacation season with his entire family. He doesn't want to. He wants to take a skiing vacation or go sailing for a week. But he's 'required' to be with family. The family lays such a guilt trip on him that he'd be miserable if he didn't attend!

You only get one life. Live it the way you need to live.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote