View Single Post
Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #17
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I was reminded of Paul Auster's City of Glass, the first book of "The New York Trilogy" which I read some years ago, in which the protagonist also turned out to be insane.
The New York Trilogy is on my 2012 challenge list, and you've just spoiled that for me .

As far as Shutter Island goes, I find it hard to say objectively whether I would have been taken in by it or not, given that I already knew the twist. That said, I thought it was well written and gripping, though there were some plot issues, such as the water pistol, which I found stretched the bounds of credulity (why not make it a real gun with blanks?), and some of the things he was supposedly allowed to do on his own, given he was the most dangerous inmate on the island.

I thought the ending worked, though, in terms of why he had gone mad - wife killing kids, then him killing her - and I found the final scene where he is about to be led off for his lobotomy chilling.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote