View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #40
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Just thought I'd add some useful code for those who want the flexibility to be able to download games and play them on the fly.
Firstly install the FreeDownload Hack.

This will allow you to download whatever files you wish, but you need to let the Kindle know which ones, so open the freedownload.conf in the freedownload folder and add z3 z4 z5 z6 z8 and zblorb to the ALLOWED_EXTENSIONS line. ie mine looks like this:
ALLOWED_EXTENSIONS='pdf epub rtf zip cbz mp3 ogg z3 z4 z5 z6 z8 zblorb'

Then, in that same freedownload.conf file add the following lines:
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z3=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z4=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z5=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z6=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_z8=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work
DOWNLOAD_DIR_zblorb=/mnt/us/developer/kif/work

You will then be able to download any of those files from within the browser, and be able to play them straight away.
NOTE: The FreeDownload hack only works in wifi, not when browsing with 3G.

You can download from any of your favourite games sites - the IFDB, Baf's guide to the Interactive Fiction Archive, etc. I find the IF Database a good source with direct links and informative reviews. These games are sorted by rating (the 'best' first), but you can click on the search function and do your own search if you want to look for a genre or era of game, game name, etc. To make it easier for next time you might even like to add a bookmark.

Aaand you're done. You can search for and add any game you like, directly from your Kindle, and not have to plug into your computer whenever you want to play something new. Hope this helped. Happy Gaming!

Last edited by Tanga; 12-01-2011 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Readability
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote