View Single Post
Old 09-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by andym View Post
I agree completely with DMcCunney.

xhtml is also the basis of the epub format, and it does seem a bit pointless to be uploading books in proprietary formats which will soon be overtaken by xhtml-based Open eBooks.
The point to uploading books in proprietary formats is make them conveniently available for those who use devices that use those formats. Witness the efforts to generate ebooks in the format used by the Sony Reader and the format used by Mobipocket. Not everyone has the time, knowledge, or interest in performing their own conversions.

I see those efforts as valuable services, and applaud the folks doing it.

Yes, those proprietary formats may go away. I hope so, at least: not having a standard format everyone supports is a major obstacle to ebook usage. But meanwhile, they are there, and there are people using devices that use them, so...
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote