View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 02:46 AM   #83
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Covers are updated in *some* MOBI and EPUB files. In the case of EPUB if the original file identified the cover unambiguously in its metadata (and didn't use an svg cover). In the case of MOBI/PRC if the file is modern enough to support EXTH headers and the original file had a cover.
Aha! Kovid, I think you answered my question before I asked it again. The last bunch of books I purchased didn't have cover art (only a cover page in black and white with the title/author/publisher) embedded in the ePub files. I added them in calibre, then converted ePub to ePub so the covers would "stick" when I sent them to my Sony (because the last few batches didn't send the covers I chose). However, when I rechecked the files in the ebook viewer application, I got the cover art, but then a big blank broken image for the next page, which would have been the "cover page". I had to use "tweak ePub" and go in and fix them before sending to device. Therefore, I am assuming the ePub files in question probably had the cover identified specifically, and/or an svg cover. Until and unless publishers standardize the way they embed or don't embed cover art or cover pages, I think there's no easy fix for this...