View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #182
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Absolutely. One classic example (no pun intended) is this sentence I came across in a detective story recently:

50 years ago, the reference to "Gaul" would have been instantly understandable to any reader. Today I suspect that I'm in a minority in understanding it. Anyone care to explain it?
I got the reference. Gaul was the ancient name for the country that is now known as France. And I have read the line in Caesar's Gallic Wars that makes that reference. I don't think it was so much the country that was divided as the people which seemed to divide themselves into three groups.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote