View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 08:34 AM   #80
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurbles62 View Post
I've been trying to update a book titled "Relics: Two: by Nick Thayer and none of the metadata plug-ins can find it. The title is listed on FantasticFiction.com, but the match I get back is always wrong! I have calibre 3.26.1 and v1.20 of the FF plugin. Here's the log (with the google and amazon results removed):

Code:
Running identify query with parameters: 
{u'identifiers': {}, u'authors': [u'Nick Thacker'], u'timeout': 30, u'title': u'Relics: Two'} 
Using plugins: Fantastic Fiction (1, 2, 0), Google (1, 0, 0), Amazon.com (1, 2, 2) 
The log from individual plugins is below 

****************************** Fantastic Fiction (1, 2, 0) ****************************** 
Found 1 results 
Downloading from Fantastic Fiction took 0.888000011444 

--- 
Title               : Relics: One
Author(s)           : Nick Thacker
Series              : Relics Singularity #1
Identifiers         : ff:t/nick-thacker/relics-one
Comments            : 
Myers is a Relic. Cast out of society by a computer program that's far more efficient at managing and regulating human life than any human ever could be.   
The System is running everyone's life. It's quickly becoming smarter than humans, and it no longer has any need for leaders like Myers. There's a technological singularity coming, and only Myers knows how to stop it.   
The problem? He doesn't remember anything from the past 15 years. And now he's being hunted.  

Querying Country preference: https://clu.fantasticfiction.com/clu-js
Querying: https://www.fantasticfiction.com/dbs/books?bq='FF'&q=Relics+Nick+Thacker&start=0&size=20&rank=-visits_us&return-fields=booktype,title,atitle,vtitle,year,pfn,hasimage,authorsinfo,seriesinfo,db,imageloc
FantasticFiction url: u'https://www.fantasticfiction.com/t/nick-thacker/relics-one.htm'
Found authors: ['Nick Thacker'] 

******************************************************************************** 

******************************************************************************** 
The identify phase took 4.42 seconds 
The longest time (4.263000) was taken by: Amazon.com 
Merging results from different sources and finding earliest  publication dates from the worldcat.org service 
We have 3 merged results, merging took: 0.22 seconds
The problem is the colon in the name. Most of the metadata source plugins are programmed to remove anything after a colon in the title before doing the search. This is because it is a common way to do a subtitle. Unfortunately, it means the plugins do not find titles like this.

I'm not sure what the best thing to do here is. Changing the plugin to not strip the subtitle would mean that this search would work. But, it would be inconsistent with most of the other searches. Also, it isn't just the colon used as the subtitle separator, but also anything in parentheses of various types.

A workaround is to remove the colon yourself before doing the search. This did find the correct book when I tested it. And removing "Relic:" also worked. I tested a couple of other books and both of these worked as well.

As I said, I'm not sure what the best whether to change this. I'm tending to not doing it to be consistent. But, if there is a consensus that it is wrong, it is a simple change in the code.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote