View Single Post
Old 12-29-2015, 08:58 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMAXXX View Post
- - - - -
Ok, i started totally wrong on this "unbrick"!

Can you please explain what i have to do first? What do i have to flash first/last?

Actually i thought i can follow this Tut (link below) but i do not have the right files. On beginning i thought i can extract all files i will need from the update package but you disabused me.
https://gist.github.com/TobiasWooldr...ca75190b9a473f
openSUSE -
Nice choice, very complete but a little bit different than the others, so is good to know.
Very much a "professional use" distribution, but that is good, keep your VM install after we are done, you will find uses for it.
You didn't mention if 32 or 64 bit version, but I'll ask if it becomes neccessary to know.

I will presume you are using minicom for your terminal emulation.

Thanks for the capture of the u-boot messages, I can tell where the system is at from that.
I will be asking for more of them (because we are working with a very new model - I will need them to spot differences).

To get a good overview of what we will be doing is the "simple" (yeah, right!) debricking thread:
(sticky) "Where Do I Start?" - (section) Debricking ->
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170929

We can't follow it exactly because:
*) Its old, last updated in the days of the very first touch screen device (K5).
*) It assume you have a working 'diags' system.
You do not, you erased both the 'main' and the 'diags' systems.
(Kindles (5.+) are dual boot systems, you killed both of them. )
*) But on the good side, you seem to have a complete, working, u-boot install.
Actually, both of them (there are two (2) u-boot builds installed).

There is also a current thread here where someone has erased even more than you did, that device can not even run its own dynamic RAM.
That one can also be recovered, but it is going to be a real job to get it running again.

Yours is in much better shape - its only missing (both) operating systems.

So far, of the things to be done:
  • Get a serial port connection working (done).
  • Get both the small and the full u-boot builds running (done).
  • Get the KindleTool utility running (done).
  • Locate the desired Update package (done).
  • Un-package it (done).
  • Get the Fastboot server running under your Linux VM -
    Not mentioned, but I expect you can if you haven't already.
    Don't be too concerned, you can switch out of the VM and use the Windows Fastboot install if you have to.
  • Install (flash) something more advanced than u-boot, that can handle installing the main operating system, system image.

This last point is where we start inventing the directions as we go along.

Continued in next post - -

Last edited by knc1; 12-29-2015 at 10:49 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote