View Single Post
Old 08-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #9
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Wired, of all mags, Wired....
You'd think, but a lot of geeks (obviously not those who hang out here at MR) are more video- and game-oriented than book-oriented, and they don't understand why someone would buy a dedicated device that they can't play WoW or watch videos on or that isn't even in color.

And the reverse is true, which those not familiar with e-books might find hard to believe: when I show people my Cybook, even my family members who look upon my rather low-level geekitude with bewildered tolerance, are interested in it. Even my sister and BIL, who are extremely frugal and don't really buy pricey gadgets (they have a five-year-old computer they inherited from their daughter) thought the price was fair because of the ability to store lots of books and the availability of free public domain works, which represent the vast majority of the books on my device. But then, they are big readers to start with. I think that's the important distinction. Readers will be interested in reading gadgets, and gadget geeks who are not readers will not.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote