View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
bfollowell
Fanatic
bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfollowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook & Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree. I was referring to page margins. They are what you don't want to scale with the text size.

But you're absolutely right in saying that there's no "one size fits all" solution. You want small page margins on a 6" reader - anything wider than a few mm is just wasting valuable screen estate. But a wider margin would look better on a 10" screen or a PC. Given, though, that most reading devices to have a 6" screen, it probably makes sense to optimise the reading experience for that environment.
Oh sure, I agree, but optimize it with a standard of measure that makes a little more sense and future proofs the ebook a little. text-indent for example. I've always used an indent for normal paragraphs of 5%. It looked great on my 5" Kindle, it looked great on my 7" Nook Tablet and, you know what, it still looks great on my 9" Nook HD+. No changes needed. It just seems to be about the perfect ratio for a paragraph indentation. I guess if you were reading in landscape mode as opposed to portrait mode it might not look as nice but I don't think that's how most people read.

Now, the text indents that are 15.0 or 18.0 pixels, which seems to be about the norm? They don't look so hot. The scene breaks that are 45.0 pixels? That works out to about 2.3% of my screen, or about 1.5 line heights for my typical font size of choice. Not much of a scene break really.

As far as the overall page margins go, I tend to agree with you. They don't need to scale with the font size but I'm still one that likes a decent white space around my page, just like any other book or anything else I've ever read. I really don't get those that like zero margins just so they can have edge to edge text. Personally, I fail to see the appeal. I think it looks horrible. But hey, to each his own.

- Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote