View Single Post
Old 10-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #3
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
If you're enabling preprocessing and it's not working you could open a bug with the book, it should work with those types of chapter headings and preprocessing.

For the dedication it's probably easier for you to use Sigil after Calibre has converted from rtf to epub. I don't think there is a way to do this using rtf. It can be done if you use txt and markup, but that requires a few more technical hoops to jump through.

If you get chapter detection working then Calibre normally splits each chapter into it's own file.
Is there a converter from RTF to Markdown (I only find Markdown => RTF via google)? I _could_ go with HTML, but then all the escaping codes for quotes and things would drive me nuts. I find it really hard to read HTML when paragraphs are _not_ just a matter of <p> and </p>, with maybe some <em> or <strong> tags thrown in.

I have a copy of The Last Unicorn in LIT that I converted to RTF and then converted again to EPUB. It marked and split the chapters perfectly and I would have thought that one would be harder than the files I had hand edited as the chapter headers were Roman Numerals without any prefix. So I can see that Calibre does do what I want, sometimes. Presumably when I give it a properly formatted RTF input file .

What I don't know is why it won't split books that *appear* in all ways possible to be formatted correctly. I even opened some of the books in Notepad++ and looked at the RTF codes. I don't completely understand RTF syntax but I can look at the chapter headers that split and the ones that didn't and they _look_ the same.

It's copyrighted material so I'm not sure about my options re: open a bug report.
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote