View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 02:26 AM   #15
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Bargain @ $2.99 CAD from HarperCollins in Canada as part of a Kobo Canada promotion until January 19th (I checked Kobo US, and it's $5.99 USD there):

SS-GB by master spy novelist Len Deighton (ISFDB, Wikipedia), his one and only vintage speculative fiction alternate history novel, written well before I was born, which is a murder mystery set in an England where the Nazis succeeded in their invasion and has a Wikipedia entry all its own.

This has been on my wishlist for years and I was very disappointed when the not-so-local library's old paperback copy seemed to have gone missing (or at least be consistently checked out whenever I visited), and now I can get it for less than the price of round-trip bus fare.

In February 1941 British Command surrendered to the Nazis. Churchill has been executed, the King is in the Tower and the SS are in Whitehall… For nine months Britain has been occupied - a blitzed, depressed and dingy country. However, it’s ‘business as usual’ at Scotland Yard run by the SS when Detective Inspector Archer is assigned to a routine murder case. Life must go on. But when SS Standartenfuhrer Huth arrives from Berlin with orders from the great Himmler himself to supervise the investigation, the resourceful Archer finds himself caught up in a high level, all action, espionage battle. This is a spy story quite different from any other. Only Deighton, with his flair for historical research and his narrative genius, could have written it.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote