View Single Post
Old 11-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Excellent! Thanks for the reply. I was tempted to download the code and add it myself, but have enough on the go already.
Believe me, it's not as easy as it looks. From wrestling with webkit to refresh only the updated portions instead of the whole flow, to traversing the HTML element stack to get the location of the change, to making sure you're only searching from the cursor location (and in Book View you need javascript just to get the cursor element), to regular expressing support... etc. These are just the Book View difficulties. You of course need to write it twice since searching in Code View is completely different.

You naturally need to design an effective and user friendly S&R dialog that will be of use to the average and to the power user. If you're really trying to make it good, you'd create a few (turns out it's more than a few) different designs, and then test them out on a few different people. Those people would then complain about each design, and then you'd have to make new ones and test those too until you worked out all the kinks.

Done right, it's not a quick process. Especially when you're an overstressed, overworked, full time graduate student working on this in what little spare time you can find.

Last edited by Valloric; 11-07-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote