View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 12:27 PM   #7
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I am familiar with Heifer International and think it does very good work. However, I am, sadly, not wealthy enough to contribute to all of the worthwhile charities and so have instead funneled my contributions to local food banks. We try to give several thousand dollars every year to our local food banks. I used to give to groups like Heifer but realized there is great need right in my own backyard.

Truthfully, we Americans can produce enough food to feed most of the world's hungry. We should be ashamed of our elected politicians who make the donation of food by the country so onerous. A year or so ago, there was an article in one of the national newspapers about how much food has to be destroyed because congress won't allow the government to ship food overseas unless it is carried by a U.S. flagged container ship and there are too few (and at too high a price) to transport all the available surplus food.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote