View Single Post
Old 12-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #12
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabeel View Post
Thank you for all the recommendations so far. I am listening and following them up.

One more question: is a good idea to read already published fiction in your area, to get some indication of how to do it? Or, on the contrary, is it better NOT to read it, so you strike out on your own?
If you hope to be a commercial success in a genre then it is important that you are familiar with the mores and expectations of that genre (and to have some idea of what as become clichéd). In which case the advice is fairly clear: read LOTS of it.

If we assume you are already familiar with the genre, then read whatever you think will help with your particular project. Once I get into active writing mode on a project I tend to keep clear of things too similar nature, mainly because I worry that my own tone/style/turn-of-phrase might be influenced by it. Whether that concern is justified I don't really know, it's just what I tend to do (and it's not like it leaves me with any shortage of things to read).

Last edited by gmw; 12-31-2014 at 09:15 AM.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote