View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
Well, I sure learned the hard way.
I'm, still recovering from the shock of loosing many days of hard work.

I like the backup feature, but perhaps it would be nice if calibre asked what file to use for a new conversion in case there are multiple files of the same book in the library.
You have my condolences for losing your work. Quite reasonably, you relied on the way Calibre worked in the past, and you got burned.

The problem has always been that doing an EPUB->EPUB (or any same format to same format conversion) destroyed both the source file format and the destination file format. The source and format files were the same file, and neither was left after the conversion finished. Calibre would preserve a lot of the destination format file by incorporating it in as the source, but anything inconsistent with the conversion options would be lost.

It's logical to expect the source format to be unchanged and the destination format to be overwritten when going from format A to format B. The changed code now makes it so that going from format A to format A works more like other format conversions. The source is now preserved and the destination is still overwritten.

Unfortunately, you hit it at a bad time. You had a bad source, then made all your changes in the destination, then overwrote the destination with the bad source. You know all this, but it's worth explaining how this makes the conversion process more consistent. Conversions should never destroy or overwrite the source format. They should only affect the destination format, and now that's how they work, even when going to the same format.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote