View Single Post
Old 07-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool kovid's answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iskariot View Post
I have encountered the following problem twice and lost days of work because of it.:

I was proofreading some epub books (dostoyevsky) that needed heavy restructuring and reformatting. I use Sigil.

After I finished the books and everything was ok, I decided I wanted to insert a new cover. I use Calibre to do this kind of stuff.

To my shock all time consuming reformatting and restructuring of the books was reverted to the original chaotic state. This never happened to me before. Calibre has always been reliable and the results quite predictable.

The only cause I can imagine is that in the latest version of calibre an original_epub file is created that has priority when changes are made and the book is rebuild. This always overwrites everything you have done since then. Any new changes you make in calibre (like inserting a new cover) are done to this backup file instead of the present and correct epub and then this overwrites the epub file you have been working on for hours, destroying all editing in the process. That way every change made is gone and unrecoverable.

How can I disable this feature. Because since this is implemented it has caused me to loose valuable and time consuming work. Now I am forced to manually backup, to circumvent and protect my work from the backup feature. For me and my workflow this is a disaster. I perceive this backup file, the way it is implemented, as dangerous.

Thanks in advance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Go to preferences->tweaks and turn off the saving of the original.....
here is kovid's answer to that very question.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote