View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draccy View Post
Hello all,

I've been reading e-books in some form or another for about five years, originally just reading text files in notepad or on my archaic palm iiixe. I've had a Zire 72 for about three years, and its on its last legs. In fact, its actually been quite troublesome for a time. It constantly loses my place in books (in both mobireader, and pluckr), crashes, and has that really nice screen whine that this device developed.

One of the features that I use the most is the backlight (Granted I have never seen a clear enough photo of the e-ink devices that tells me if its worth the several hundred dollars to try to switch), because I like to read in bed while my wife is sleeping, and dare I say it... in the bathroom at work, which isn't always the best lit.

I was really interested in the Cybook, but the lack of a backlight is a bit of a turn-off to me. I understand that one can get a booklight to attach to certain devices, but then I think it becomes cumbersome. I'd rather not buy another palm device, because their service and support was shoddy at best.

I've read the suggestions posts, and the stickies, but I'm still at a loss of where to go to next. My wife suggested a phone-type device, but I think the screen is a bit -too- small for me.

So I was hoping to hear from the faction of mobilereaders that prefer backlit screens, and what they have for devices, and what they'd recommend. Would I truly be converted to e-ink after seeing a Cybook? Is it worth the money? Is there really a Santa Claus?

Thanks a ton for your help, advice and friendship. I'm really looking forward to getting to know some other e-book addicts, and sharing experiences.

Best wishes!

-Keith
Wow! Another Massachusetts resident. I'm over in Roslindale.

I have a Sony reader which I do enjoy using to read ebooks. If you'd like, you can have a look at my reader in action then you can see for yourself how good it is. And converting content is quite easy. I can show you that as well.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote