View Single Post
Old 06-14-2011, 12:38 PM   #13
Last_of_the_PEs
Groupie
Last_of_the_PEs began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage PE
It occurs to me that, with all those DIFFERENT images of the Entourage products, a lot of publications must have covered them. So, what is it that we saw that others didn't for some reason?

I can see where I wouldn't have paid the premium for the PE - I got mine from Woot, but there's no WAY they could have sold normally for $160!

Even with the cheap labor, unitized cost of running the line, and the parts, it would have to cost at least $80 to make one, and all the other costs would drive it up over $200, before profit to Entourage. If Woot had sold the PE for even $200, I doubt I'd have bought one. I would have paid that for the EE though.

I know this was covered to death in another thread, but the pictures caused me to consider this again here. Someone said the eDGe released on top of the iPad. That makes a lot of sense. Both are PREMIUM products -- where extra cost was incurred to provide unique value. Marketing a premium product is different from mass-marketing. Maybe Entourage just picked the wrong strategy because you have to convince people the value is there. Apple has its faithful sheeple who will believe anything Jobs says, so that was easy for them, but Entourage came from nowhere.
Last_of_the_PEs is offline   Reply With Quote