View Single Post
Old 01-06-2010, 02:03 PM   #11
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Results for document 1

All right, sorry it took me so long. I guess my wife needed to take our camera today, so I had to borrow an old one from a friend. Probably good enough for this, but I apologize for the glare.

It's hard to decide between insufficient lighting and glare on the reader screen--in person, it's much easier to read than you can tell from this, but this will give you an idea of the size. (Bearing in mind that the screen is 9cm x 12cm.)

I'm dividing the pictures up by document so it's not too overwhelming.

I'm including just one picture here (of page 3) of what it looks like if you just load it on the reader and view it in portrait -- that is not recommended.

The reader itself provides two options for increasing the readability of a PDF.
  • Putting the reader in landscape mode, which splits the page in two. This usually works better than the other option, which is...
  • Using the "reflow" option -- works OK for boring paragraphs of just text, but when there are displays and charts, as in yours, it doesn't work so well.

Landscape mode by itself works OK with document 1. It may be hard to tell from the photos, but it is readable.

Reflow works great for the paragraphy part of the text, but it completely screws up the chart, since reflow seems to evaporate vector-based graphics altogether. The chart on page 2 is reduced to an unintelligible list of variables! Yikes. (You can of course zoom back out to see the chart.)

Lastly, and the best method, is to pre-process the file with sopdf. This works very well for this document. It's a lot like landscape mode, except it also removes the whitespace margins, making a very comfortable read.

Hopefully the file names speak for themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doc1page3-unmodified-portrait.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	638.7 KB
ID:	42626   Click image for larger version

Name:	doc1page1-unmodified-landscape.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	746.2 KB
ID:	42627   Click image for larger version

Name:	doc1page2-unmodified-landscape.jpg
Views:	485