View Single Post
Old 11-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #26
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I will think about it, but TBH I will probably simply delete the new shortcut. I don't want RETURN to do anything on the book list if not editing a cell.

As for "standards": my experience is that RETURN does different things in different places. For example, in excel it advances a row. In acrobat it advances a page. In some applications it opens a "details" view. In zillions of applications it "pushes" the default button. It is only in a file manager that it opens the underlying file. I don't see why a file manager's behavior should trump (for example) excel's, given that the user is seeing a spreadsheet of metadata. Opening the book would be close to the last thing I expect ENTER to do.
All that was why was I careful to say, "do the default action". To me the fact that pressing enter did nothing was wrong. I am used to scrolling through lists with the arrow keys and pressing enter to act on the selected item. When I started using calibre, I expected that hitting enter would open the book in the viewer. Maybe that meant I saw calibre as a fancy file manager. But, if it had opened either the metadata editor or book info, I probably wouldn't have thought anything was wrong.

In any case, thanks to you and Kovid for the update.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote