View Single Post
Old 03-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #14
MelC
Evangelist
MelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it isMelC knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS600
I'm jumping into this group. Hope its okay.

I haven't quite finished it yet - just hit the self-mutilation chapter but my initial thoughts are as follows... I didn't mind the story-telling style applied to history. I have experienced it before with authors like Alison Weir and find that it makes it easier for non-hardcores like me to wade through historical events. I will say, however, that the author might be trying a little too hard to imitate a certain style of Victorian writing that I actually found a little off-putting. The way that I often have a hard time accepting a gender reversal in an author's main character, I guess I also find it distracting when a modern author imitates the voice of another era although I can understand why this particular author made this choice. I also found that the author repeated himself in the book and I can't tell if that was for effect or if he just forgot that he had explained that point previously. On the whole, however, I think the 3 out of 5 is fair. The topic is interesting and it hasn't been hard going. Plus it totally makes me want to go out and get a dictionary...unfortunately not the OED. Did anyone else think that Samuel Johnson's dictionary would make a great read or is it just me?

Mel
MelC is offline   Reply With Quote