View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 05:31 PM   #1171
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The Dresden Files stuff...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy736 View Post
Thanks for the link to Dog Eared Books Alan. Since I had some money on Paypal witch I don't use (in Holland we use Ideal for web-shopping), I ordered a signed hb of Cold Days from them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I suspect that you downloaded an .azw3 file which is the default for updated (from 3.3 to 3.4 firmware) Kindle Keyboards. And, in my opinion, I think that these newer file versions do not render well on the K3. They all seem to store 4 different fonts in each book file and are a lot larger file because of this. Personally, I dislike this update, but once the device has been updated there appears to be no way to revert to the 3.3 firmware.

You can get a copy of Calibre, install Apprentice Alf's Calibre plug-ins and then add the new book to the Calibre database which would strip the DRM and then it would allow you to convert it to a standard mobi. Which would also get the file pared down to 500 to 700kb from the over 2.5 megs that the .azw3 would probably be.

Don't know what to do about the black vs. gray color thing, but perhaps the azw3 has a color other than black assigned to the book's display font.

Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookeysgirl View Post
Thanks Alan...I don't usually put my DRM stripped books on my Kindle but looks like I will have to now. I was really enjoying this update with the blacker text too. Oh well, a few minutes extra work for a much better reading experience is worth it

Quote:
Those were 'informed guesses', and not at all a certain diagnosis. So let me know if my guess was accurate, ok?

Quote:
I will. I'll strip it and convert this weekend with Calibre and see what difference it makes.

Quote:
I knew I shouldn't have gotten this book, but not for the reasons I originally thought. I'm such a weenie I've cried twice and I've only read 27% .
Hmmm....so then are you now reading a regular old .mobi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
I know right!!

I haven't read the series but I definitely will be because of this thread. A lot of books though, 13!
Glad to hear it. to the Dresden Files thread!

Quote:

I'm gonna' re-read the next three Dresden Files books (#11, #12 & #13) right away.

I'm done with the re-read of Turn Coat (loved it) and am over 1/3 of the way through re-reading Changes! (loving it)

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote