View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 12:19 AM   #95
MR. Pockets
Addict
MR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura aboutMR. Pockets has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch, Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG4003 View Post
I'm embarrased to tell you that I have Calibre installed on my computer and I have played around with it several times, but frankly, I don't understand what it can do for me. I feel like I have entered all my books in several places and I'm puzzled about the advantages of entering them in Calibre as well. I'm not trying to be sassy, it's just that nobody has ever explained to me how it can benefit me. I hear people talk about changing meta data and all that, but nobody says why? What is the payoff as far as my reading library, if I use Calibre? I even posted this question on Kindleboards a while back, but nobody gave me any explanations that made sense to me. Can you explain it to me? Thanks
I felt the exact same way the first time I tried Calibre (thankfully I tried it again). It seemed clunky, not very user friendly, and didn't really seem to do much for me. However, now that I have figured out how to use it (it does have a fairly steep learning curve), I use it primarily to convert books to whatever format I need them in, (since I have added the proper plugins) purge them of DRM, and occasionally to edit the metadata. I typically edit metadata on books that are public domain (don't have proper or full metadata) or books/news snipits that I put together myself.

Probably the biggest things I use it for are 1. converting books, and 2. stripping DRM from my (legal) books.
MR. Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote