Thread: Sigil v0.1.2
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 12:35 PM   #40
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Hope this may be of use to you.
Thank you for trying to help roger64, but for security and quality assurance reasons I will not distribute binaries from random people on the internet.

And checkinstall is not meant to be used to produce packages that are to be installed on computers other than the one used to make the package. The deb and rpm packages you normally install from your distribution's package repository are created with a lot more care and precision. It is not an easy or simple process by any means. For more information on creating distributable debs, take a look here. Just creating debs alone is rather complicated. Rpms AFAIK have their own complex procedures.

Those things aside, just providing deb and rpm packages would not be fair to the other Linux users whose distributions do not use them. There are many other package types. Providing some and not others would still leave a lot of people unhappy, and I just don't have the resources or the time to make a dozen different package types.

As I've noted in (several) previous posts, many (major) software projects provide only source archives for Linux. From GCC, GIMP, Inkscape etc. These people have met the same hurdles I have met, and have a lot more manpower available. Their solution is to provide sources, which users can then compile themselves or leave it to the package maintainers to handle for them.

Sigil will do so as well. This is final.

This decision is not the product of laziness, lack of skill or malice. Simply a consequence of Sigil being a one-man-project, and a hobby project at that. That being said, many larger projects still provide only source archives for Linux. I've said this too many times now, and I'm starting to sound like a broken record.

I hope I've made my point clear. If I haven't, well... I gave it my best shot.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote