View Single Post
Old 11-06-2017, 01:38 PM   #96
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
Only waning? I stand in stunned awe of someone with such reserves of tact and diplomacy. Probably explains why I've never been in any service oriented occupation. I'd be the one saying, "Oh yeah? Well, you can take your precious story and ..."
Oh...I'm well past it, but...girl's gotta eat, and so do my crew. Otherwise, OH HOW I WISH I could say that!

(I have a poet in, right now. I offered him fixed-layout versus reflow; he took reflow, and now, he's UNHAPPY. Thinks the ebooks "look terrible." What doesn't he like, about how they appear?
  1. His original poems were center-aligned, so that the left-edge of the lines of the poems were at the center of the page. Well, great--but we can't do that in eBooks--certainly, NOT in MOBI or MOBI 8 format, period. They're indented, but only as far as they can be, in MOBI.
  2. He "HATES" the TOC. Says, it doesn't LOOK like a TOC. His printed book had dotleaders and page numbers, which, of course, we can't use. Will he tell me what he wants us to do, to make it look like "a real TOC?" Eff, no, he won't.
  3. He's unhappy because "the poems aren't all on one page." Now, what he means is, that the person reading the book doesn't, like in a print book, SEE the entire poem at once. that people SCROLL the page, or tap, etc. to see more than the first X lines. I've asked him, given that he asserts that he knew (of course!) that eBook readers can ENLARGE THE FONT, how he expected that to work? If Jane makes the font size font size 10, hwo the frack did he think that the entire poem would stay on the "page"?

...and this moron wants his MONEY BACK. He's made zero effort, to do anything at all, to enable us to tweak the book to make him happier; he obviously did ZERO research, on eBooks, before he hired us. I've wasted now at LEAST 2+ hours, in explanations and examples and the like, for him, to explain how ebooks work. And now he's asserting that even though he knew that "making an ebook is collaborative, it's not (his) job to handhold us, to fix a terrible job." I'm not only mortally offended, but I'm starting to get really, really angry.

I told him: you go out and find ONE book of reflowable poetry, that's so much better than this. Go ahead. And/or, someone else, in the biz--someone respectable, not some Fiverr--that will say that there's ANYTHING wrong with this file.

He's made it MY responsibility that he didn't know a damned thing about ebooks, before he hired us. I even walked him thorugh some of the pros and cons, about fixed-layout, versus reflowable, when he first inquired of us. I offered him both--and he chose the CHEAPER reflowable. Now he's "unhappy?" With our "terrible" work? None of which he can ...

OMFG. Now he's back, and he's trying to BLACKMAIL me, by threatening to "post bad reviews all over the Net."

Oh, brother. Boyo, you have no idea what you're getting into. Most pleople aren't stupid enough to get into an out and out fight with me.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote