View Single Post
Old 03-06-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Delta Tango
Groupie
Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Delta Tango can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox
Talking Buying my first e-ink device, but which one?

As the title says I'm considering buying (well, I already decided to) an e-ink device, but I'm not really sure which one.

So, in hope of finding a helping individual here, here is what I hope to get from my future gadget:

Expandable memory: I just got 2,5 GB of technical literature I'll probably want to carry around in (very) near future (scans of the books, mostly in JPEG format), plus I already have a truck load of .txt, .html, .rtf, .pdf, etc. books.

Support for different formats: As stated above, I'd like my device to be able to handle them all (or the at least the ones I mentioned above + maybe .doc, .lit, .epub...), and not being restricted to some proprietary format.

Battery life: I'd be disappointed to have less than 30-40 hours of active reading per charge. Am I spoiled?

Folders: I want to be able to sort my books and the scans (which are actually just picture files) of the book as I please. Using a PC to achieve this is fully acceptable.

Dictionary: English is not my first language, so I do come across some words I don't understand (I prefer reading the novels in their original language, if I understand the language, so my library is mostly in English). Dictionary (English - English) should be easily accessible while reading without having to close (exit) the book and than returning to it.

Page remembering: This is a must for me. The device has to remember the last page I was at when I closed the book/turned off the device, without any special steps that are necessary to achieve it. Preferably for all the books, not just for the last you read.

Screen size: Well, they say the bigger the better. I cut out a piece of paper to the size of a 6" display (9,1 x 12,2 cm) and it does seem a little small. However, I understand that there usually comes a frame around the screen which will make the entire device significantly bigger and less portable. So I wouldn't go under 6", but I also wouldn't go over 9 (or is it 9,2"?).

Font size adjustment: I guess this one is obvious.

Connectivity: USB is a must, but I guess that is a standard, right?
SD/microSD/equivalent card is preferable (also works as expandable memory).
WiFi would be nice, but I could live without it.
3G, GPRS, EDGE, GSM... I have a mobile phone and a PC for that. Don't need such features that devour precious electrons from the battery.

Online libraries: Here in Croatia we don't have public online libraries, and I'm not sure if I really need it. I can always use a PC to get the book and use the USB to get it on the reader.

Price tag: I'm willing to cash out no more than $500.

What I absolutely don't need is the MP3 player.

Since this post is getting a bit long, I'll try to end it quickly (or do you people like to read long posts?)

Onyx Boox/Bebook Neo is what recently caught my eye.
The annotation feature and the touch screen is sure nice (probably not essential for me, but would be nice to have).
Price is acceptable, WiFi is sure cool, having two sources of firmware also can't hurt (I'm guessing that you can install Boox firmware on Neo and vice versa, since they have same hardware?)
The only thing that bothers me is the screen size, so I'd like to ask you people about the 6" displays. Are they satisfying?

Are there other devices that you think are superior to Boox/Neo in it's price range?
Thanks in advance,

Domagoj
Delta Tango is offline   Reply With Quote