View Single Post
Old 04-22-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabound View Post
Hah, remember that you are at MobileRead, where hijacking is considered a virtue worth rewarding with a hundred other hijack posts. So the next time you're in the mood, hijack away! Except of course when you find yourself in the conservatory forum, where the punishment for hijacking is cutting off fingers to keep one from typing.
I was actually one of those in favour of the conservatory, and I would say the most you risk is a sharp tongue but certainly not over the normal meanderings of a discussion.

Seriously, starting a new thread might also get more people to see the question and I really think it was better to leave the old thread to Ms. Waters and her books.

Quote:
Oh, you'll get no argument from me about Winterson's "literariness"--I'm quite sure her writing is in that category. But I see we disagree about Waters, so we agree to disagree. Thinking about it, maybe a better tag for her novels would be just literature--with a capital L.
I could agree with that And then we'd agree after all!

Quote:
No need to blush--it's only us MR geeks.
So you don't have any recommendations then?

Quote:
I can still clearly remember the time I plunked down on a chair at a Barnes and Noble Cafe, in a town I didn't like (I was on a trip), and tried to read that book. I didn't like it at all, and I've never tried another Rita Mae Brown book since. I think maybe Fannie Flagg is the better and funnier writer.

I don't think I've read any of Fannie Flagg. Oh, wait, there was one about a TV host whose mother had a troubled background and then she, the TV host that is, gets a breakdown. Okay, but not especially interesting, except I didn't know anything about the concept of 'passing as white' before I read it.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote