View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 08:33 AM   #69
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You should have both /mnt/us and /mnt/base-us.

In general, "/base-*" mount points mount an image or partition with limited access rights. The startup scripts usually use /mnt/us, and we should too, to prevent problems.
I think the "duplicity" is only due to fuse-fsp, which Amazon put in between. It allows to "suspend" all access to the user partition for running processes without throwing errors (just keep 'em hanging and waiting for the call to return), though is able to "cut off" bounds to the underlying file system so that can easily be unmounted and exported via USB. It's a rather clever way to allow this export mechanism. As a related note: In Android, they stopped exporting USB via mass storage emulation due to the rather complicated issues that arise when a partition needs to be unmounted for exporting it. They are now using MTP (with fallback to PTP), similar to what I do on my Kindle (only using SCP/SFTP via USB networking).

Well, and this definitely means that /mnt/us is what we should be using for everything - as long as we want to prevent serious bugs due to improper access to the exported user partition.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote